CIPS is the national professional organization of the independent societies of the International Psychoanalytic Association (IPA) in the United States. CIPS is composed of six psychoanalytic groups in the United States and a Direct Member Society for IPA analysts at other psychoanalytic institutes who wish to be members of CIPS:
- The Contemporary Freudian Society (CFS)
- The Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research (IPTAR)
- The Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies (LAISPS)
- The Northwestern Psychoanalytic Society and Institute (NPSI)
- The Psychoanalytic Center of California (PCC)
- The Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California (PINC)
If you are a member of one of these six societies, you are automatically enrolled as a member of CIPS. You can learn more about each of the six CIPS component societies and about the training programs and membership opportunities they offer by clicking on the links above. CIPS also welcomes members of other IPA component societies and candidates in training at other IPA component societies. If you are a member of the IPA, you are eligible to apply for Direct Membership” in CIPS. If you are a candidate in training at an IPA component society, you are eligible to apply for Direct Affiliate Membership in CIPS. All Direct Members and Direct Affiliate Members are enrolled in the “Direct Member Society” of CIPS, which is represented, like other societies, on the CIPS Board of Directors. If you are interested in joining CIPS, you can apply for membership by clicking the button below and filling out the form on the next page. (click here-link to application page).