Who We Are
CIPS is the national professional organization of the independent societies of the International Psychoanalytic Association (IPA) in the United States. CIPS is composed of six psychoanalytic groups in the United States and a Direct Member Society for IPA analysts at other psychoanalytic institutes who wish to be members of CIPS:
- The Contemporary Freudian Society (CFS)
- The Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research (IPTAR)
- The Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies (LAISPS)
- The Northwestern Psychoanalytic Society and Institute (NPSI)
- The Psychoanalytic Center of California (PCC)
- The Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California (PINC) The Confederation of Independent Psychoanalytic Societies (CIPS) is a unique professional community formed to advance Sigmund Freud’s vision of psychoanalysis as an interdisciplinary profession. In addition to training mental health professionals, CIPS societies welcome trainees and members with backgrounds in law, philosophy, the arts, and the sciences. The CIPS community is not only interdisciplinary – it is also theoretically diverse. Our members work within – and contribute to – a wide spectrum of theoretical and clinical traditions. CIPS endeavors to promote the productivity of our diversity by creating innovative contexts and programs for collegial dialogue, including biennial clinical conferences, video conferences, and a book series on The Boundaries of Psychoanalysis.
In addition to supporting the intellectual and clinical development of our members and our profession, CIPS has a long and robust tradition of activism in the service of our professional welfare, including the promotion of high standards for training and licensure, the establishment of an equitable program of Board Certification in Psychoanalysis for our members, and the protection of privacy rights and other professional interests through programs of public information and political advocacy. All CIPS members are members of the International Psychoanalytic Association and are represented on the IPA Board of Directors. CIPS is a member of the Psychoanalytic Consortium, the Coalition for Patient Privacy Rights and the Mental Health Liaison Group.
To learn more about the CIPS Program in Board Certification, please see CERTIFICATION
To learn more about the CIPS Book Series, please see CIPS BOOK SERIES